Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Getting ready for a New Year.

Whew!  What a busy week we just finished up.  Christmas was the end to week long festivities here.  My house started with a cookie decorating party last Wednesday.  It began Tuesday night rolling out cookie dough.  There was peanut butter, gingerbread and of course sugar cookies to bake up and get ready for decorating the next day.  Lots of family members came in for the fun.  My sister, her younger daughter and my great nephew, my Mom & Dad, both my girls and grandsons and my husband came home from work early.  So let the cookie decorating begin.
Fun was had by all.  The little helpers were all treated to a Santa hat with their name liquid embroidered on it.

On to Christmas Eve.  Although this was an unexpected celebration it brought surprises and smiles.  Families now are created with extended family members.  As is ours.  My oldest daughter has a step son but he is special to us and is one of our grandsons as well.  He could not be with us on Christmas day so we put together a Christmas Eve celebration and opened a few presents.
Now for the big Christmas day.  For our family the most excitement comes from the feast.  I must admit that I have been blessed to always have a wonderful Christmas meal.  The last few years I have hosted the meal in our home.  Mainly because we have a Great room.  Meaning one large room that encompasses the living room, dining room and kitchen.  This allows everyone to be together in one area.  Last year due to illness I missed this.  I was sick in bed the entire day.  The good part about that was it gave my husband a new appreciation to the work that goes into coordinating all the foods so they are ready at the same time.  He was lucky that we had  purchased Bob Evans holiday feast.  He had all the instructions wrote out in front of him. Our guests were lucky in the fact they did not have to endure what might have happened if he had cooked the turkey.
This year I prepared the feast and my sister pitched in extra mash potatoes and my dad brought sweet potatoes and more dressing.  Food, food every where.
We also made sure everyone had a gift to open.  Even if it was a small one.  The real fun came when we broke out the foam disc guns.  Even the adults went back to being kids.
We are still finding those little discs all over the house.  That is okay with me because these are so much fun.
It was wonderful to celebrate with family.  I have taken the last few days to put my house back together and to reflect on this past year.
Every year has it's ups and downs.  This year has been different in the fact I finally feel I have a direction to go.  I feel like I have been standing at a cross road for too long.  After leaving a career in the medical field I felt lost in what to do with myself.  I am not a stay at home watch tv all day type.  I was bored and restless when by chance I picked up jewelry making supplies.  The creative process sparked something in me and now I look forward to trying new ideas.
In the new year I will be taking this another step by trying to create my own handmade polymer clay beads.  I am looking forward to trying to create truly one of a kind items for you.
My New Years wish for all of you is that you find things that make you happy and move you to create a better life for you and those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love hearing from you. Leave me a comment below.